Headlines
Loading...
Passage Narration Exercise for HSC with answer

Passage Narration Exercise for HSC with answer

HSC Passage Narration 2019 All Board Questions with Answer

1. Change the narrative style by using indirect speeches: [Dhaka Board-2019]
“Where do you like to go sir?” asked the ticket seller. “Cox's Bazar,” replied the stranger. “How many tickets do you need?” “I will buy five tickets.” “Take these tickets. They will cost three thousand taka,” said the ticket seller. 

Answer: The ticket seller asked the stranger respectfully where he (S) liked to go. The stranger replied that he (S) liked to go to Cox's Bazar. The ticket seller asked the stranger how many tickets he (S) needed. He (S) replied that he (S) would buy five tickets. The ticket seller told him (S) to take those tickets. He (T) added that they would cost three thousand taka.

2. Change the narrative style by using indirect speeches: [Cumilla Board-2019]
"Why are you loitering here and there now? Are you in trouble ?" said the school teacher. "I am loitering because I have none to take care me," said the boy. The school teacher said, "Do you feel hungry?" "Yes, I am very hungry now," said the boy.

Answer: The school teacher asked the boy why he (B) was loitering here and there then. He (T) also asked him (B) if he (B) was in trouble. The boy replied that he (B) was loitering because he (B) had none to take care him (B). The school teacher asked him (B) if he (B) felt hungry. The boy replied that he (B) was very hungry then.

3. Change the narrative style by using indirect speeches: [Rajshahi Board-2019]
A cat hearing that a hen was laid up sick in her nest, paid her a visit of condolence and said, "How are you, my dear? What can I do for you? Only tell me. Is there anything in the world that I can bring for you? " "Thank you," said the hen. "Do you be good enough to leave me, and I have no fear but I shall soon be well."

Answer: A cat hearing that a hen was laid up sick in her nest, paid her a visit of condolence and asked her dearly how she was. He also asked her what he could do for her. He again asked her to tell him if there was anything in the world that he could bring for her. The hen thanked him. She requested him to be good enough to leave her. She added that she had no fear but she would soon be well.

4. Change the following narrative style by using indirect speeches: [Jashore Board-2019]
“Have you learnt your lessons ?” father said to Arman. "No, I've forgotten," said he. "That's very bad. You must be more careful about your preparation for the examination. By doing so you can make a good result," said his father. "Thank you very much for your timely advice."

Answer: Father asked Arman if he (A) had learnt his (A) lessons. Arman replied in the negative and said that he (A) had forgotten. Father told him that that was very bad. He (F) added that he (A) had to be more careful about his (A) preparation for the examination and by doing so, he (A) could make a good result. Arman thanked him (F) very much for his (F) timely advice.

5. Change the narrative style by using indirect speeches: [Sylhet Board-2019]
"Why did you stop me? I didn't do anything wrong. did I? " asked Riyad. "You were driving too fast," said the traffic sergeant, giving him a glare, " Now! Show me your driving license."

Answer: Riyad asked the traffic sergeant why he (T) had stopped him (R). He (R) added that he (R) had not done anything wrong. Giving him a glare, the traffic sergeant told him (R) that he (R) had been driving too fast. Then he (T) told Riyad to show him (T) his (R) driving license.

6. Change the narrative style by using indirect speeches: [Barishal Board-2019]
Returning home, my mother said to me. "Your progress in studies is very slow. You always move about with a group of your friends. Aren't you idling away your time with them? Can't you be more serious? " “I am sorry and I will amend myself,” I replied.

Answer: Returning home, my mother told me that my progress in studies was very slow. She added that I always moved about with a group of my friends. She asked me if I was idling away my time with them. She again asked me if I could not be more serious. I replied that was sorry and I would amend myself.

7. Change the narrative style by using indirect speeches: [Chattogram Board-2019 ;Rajshahi Board-2017]
"Whose picture is it?" I asked. "A little girl's of course, " said Grandmother. "Can't you tell? " "Yes, but did you know the girl? " "Yes, I knew her," said Granny, "But she was a very wicked girl and I shouldn't tell you about her."

Answer: I asked Grandmother whose picture it was. Grandmother replied that it was of course a little girl's picture. She asked me if I could not tell that. I replied in the affirmative and asked her if she had known the girl. Grandmother replied in the affirmative and said that she had known her, but she (Girl) had been a very wicked girl and should not tell me about her (Girl).

8. Change the narrative style by using indirect speeches:[Dinajpur Board-2019;Cumilla Board-2013]
"My sons" said he, "A great treasure lies hidden in the estate. I am about to leave you." "Where is it hidden?" said the sons. "I am about to tell you," said the old man. "But you must dig the land for it." 

Answer: The old man told his sons that a great treasure lay hidden in the estate. He added that he was about to leave the sons. The sons asked him where it was hidden. The old man told them that he was about to tell them but they had to dig the land for it.

HSC Passage Narration 2018 All Board Questions with Answer

9. Change the narrative style by using indirect speeches: [HSC Exam Kh Set-2018]
“How much do you want?” said the Mayor. “A thousand guilders,” said the pied piper. “All right,” said the Mayor. “We'll pay you a thousand guilders. When will you set to work?” Now, said the Pied Piper.

Answer: The Mayor asked the Pied Piper how much he wanted. The Pied Piper replied that he wanted a thousand guilders. The Mayor accepted the proposal and said that they would pay him a thousand guilders. Then he asked the piper when he would set to work. The Pied Piper replied that he would set to work then.

10. Change the narrative style by using indirect speeches: [HSC Exam Kha Set-2018;Dinajpur Board-2012]
"Will you buy my hair?" asked Della. I buy hair," said Madame. "Take  your hat off and let's have a sight at the looks of it." "Twenty dollars," said Madame, lifting the mass with a practiced hand. "Give it to me quick," said Della.

Answer: Della asked Madame if she (M) would buy her (D) hair. Madame replied that she (M) bought hair. She (M) told her (D) to take her (D) hat off and let them have a sight at the looks of it. Then Madame told her (D) that they would give her (D) twenty dollars, lifting the mass with a practiced hand. Della told her (M) to give it to her (D) quickly.

Passage Narration exercise with answers for HSC

HSC Passage Narration 2017 All Board Questions with Answer

11. Change the narrative style by using indirect speeches: [Dhaka Board-2017; Jashore Board-2012]
"Follow my example," she said as we shook hands," and never ear more than one thing for luncheon." "I'll do better than that," said retorted. "I'll eat nothing for dinner tonight. "Humorist," she cried gaily, jumping into a cab.

Answer: As we shook hands, she told me to follow her example and never eat more than one thing for luncheon. I retorted that I would do better than that and would eat nothing for dinner that night. Jumping into a cab, she cried gaily calling me a humorist.

12. Change the narrative style by using Indirect speeches: [Cumilla Board-2017 ;Dinajpur Board-2016]
“Have you saved something for the future?” said the Richman. “No,” said the cobbler. “I am happy with the present and think little about tomorrow.” “No, that would not do,” said the Richman. “I like to see you above want. Have this money and keep it.”

Answer: The rich man asked the cobbler if he (C) had saved something for the future. The cobbler replied in the negative and added that he (C) was happy with the present and thought do. He (R) added that he (R) liked to see him (C) above want. He (R) told the cobbler to have that money and keep it.

13. Change the narrative style by using direct speech: [Jashore Board-2017]
The teacher asked the students if they had heard the name of Aesop. The students respectfully replied that they had not and asked the teacher who he had been. The teacher advised them to listen to his lecture attentively and they would be able to know about him. He also exclaimed with wonder that his fables were very interesting and instructive.

Answer: The teacher said to the students, "Have you heard the name of Aesop?" The students said, "Sir, we haven't. Who was he?" The teacher said to them, "Listen to my lecture attentively and you will be able to know about him. How interesting and instructive his fables are!"

14. Change the narrative style by using indirect speeches: [Sylhet Board-2017]
“Why are you crying? Do you have any problem?” asked the passer-by. "I am crying because I have none to look after me," said the street child. "Are you hungry?" "Yes, I am," said the boy.

Answer: The passerby asked the street child why he (C) was crying. He (P) also asked if he (C) had any problem. The street child replied that he (C) was crying because he (C) had none to look after him (C). The passerby asked him if he (C) was hungry. The child replied in the affirmative and said that he (C) was hungry.

15. Rewrite the following in the reported speech: [Barishal Board-2017]
“Please give me your English grammar book,” said Fahim. “I can not give it,” said Arman. "I have to take it with me in the class." "I shall return the book before the class starts, Said Fahim. "Take it," said Arman. Thanks," said Fahim.

Answer: Fahim requested Arman to give him (F) his (A) English grammar book. Arman replied that he (A) could not give it because he (A) had to take it with him (A) in the class. Fahim told Arman that he (F) would return the book before the class started. Arman told him (F) to take it. Fahim thanked Arman. 

16. Change the narrative style by using direct speeches: [Chattogram Board-2017]
The witness told the international crimes tribunal that he had suddenly heard a gunshot and gone towards the door. He added that he had seen many Al Badr men and the members of the Pakistani army on his house premises. The judge asked him if he had recognized some of the Al - Badr men. The witness answered that he could recognize one Hamid in his village who had brought the members of the Pakistani army to the village.

Answer: The witness told the international crimes tribunal, "I suddenly heard a gunshot and went towards the door. I saw many Al- Badr men and the members of the Pakistani army on his house premises." The judge said to him, "Have you recognized some of the Al-Badr men?" The witness answered, "I could recognize one Hamid in my village who brought the members of the Pakistani army to the village."

17. Change the narrative style by using indirect speeches: [Dinajpur Board 2017]
He said to me, “I am very sorry to trouble you, but I shall be much obliged you will kindly lend me your dictionary.” “I shall be very glad to be of service to you, and you are welcome to any of my books that you think of use to you,” said I.

Answer: He told me that he was very sorry to trouble me. but he would be much obliged if I would kindly lend him my dictionary. I told him that I would be very glad to be of service to him, and he was welcome to any of my books that he thought of use to him.

HSC Passage Narration 2016 All Board Questions with Answer

18. Change the narrative style by using indirect speeches: [Dhaka Board 2016]
“Where do you come from?” I asked him. “From San Carlos,” he said and smiled. "I was taking care of animals, "Oh," I said, not quite understanding, " yes," he said. “I stayed, you see, taking care of animals. I was the last one to leave the town of San Carlos.”

Answer: I asked him where he came from. He replied that he came from San Carlos and smiled. He added that he had been taking care of animals. I exclaimed without quite understanding. He said again that he had stayed taking care of animals, He also said that he had been the last one to leave the town of San Carlos.

19. Change the narrative style by using indirect speeches: [Cumilla Board-2016]
One day Hazrat Omar (R) became shocked to see the sufferings of a woman and said, "Where do you live?” The woman said, “I live in a poor hut south end to this town. I'm hungry but there is no food in my house. Will you give me something to eat?” Hazrat Omar (R) said, “Go back home. I'm coming with food and money for you.”

Answer: One day Hazrat Omar (R) became shocked to see the sufferings of a woman and asked where she lived. The woman replied that she lived in a poor hut south end to that town. She added that she was hungry but there was no food in her house. She also asked if he would give her something to cat. Hazrat Omar (R) told her to go back home. He added that he was coming with food and money for her.

20. Change the narrative style by using indirect speeches: [Rajshahi Board-2016] 
“Have you cut your nails short?” The teacher said to Maruf. "No, I've forgotten Sir," said Maruf. “That's very bad. You must be more careful about neatness and cleanliness. By doing so, you can prevent diarrhoea and some other diseases too,” said the teacher.

Answer: The teacher asked Maruf if he (M) had cut his (M) nails short. Maruf replied in the negative and respectfully said that he (M) had forgotten. The teacher said that that was very bad. He (T) told him (M) that he (M) had to be more careful about neatness and cleanliness. He (T) added that by doing so, he (M) could prevent diarrhoea and some other diseases too.

21. Change the narrative style by using direct speeches: [Jashore Board-2016]
I told the rickshaw puller that he had carried me a long way. Then I asked him how much I should pay him. I further asked him if fifty taka would do. He replied that anything was all right.

Answer: I said to the rickshaw puller, “You have carried me a long way. How much should I pay you? Will fifty taka do?” He replied, “Anything is all right.”

22. Change the narrative style by using direct speeches: [Sylhet Board-2016]
Once I asked a little girl what her mother's name was. She replied that she could remember her mother's name but she would not tell me that. She added that she did not tell her mother's name to anyone whom she did not know. I exclaimed with admiration that she was a very clever girl.

Answer: Once I said to a little girl, "What is your mother's name?" She said, "I can remember my mother's name, but I will not tell you that. I do not tell my mother's name to anyone whom I do not know." I said, “What a clever girl you are!”

23. Change the narrative style by using Indirect speech: [Barishal Board-2016]
“Do you know Bangladesh Open University offers an English self - learning course?” Sejan said to Shawan. "Yes, I have heard it from my father who works as a tutor of the course. It is a six-month course known as CELP," said Shawan.

Answer: Sejan asked Shawan If he (Shawan) knew Bangladesh Open University offered an English self-learning course. Shawan replied in the affirmative that he (Shawan) had heard it from his (Shawan) father who worked as a tutor of the course. He (Shawan) added that it was a six-month course known as CELP.

24. Change the narrative style by using indirect speeches: [Chattogram Board-2016]
"Why are your children crying, my daughter ?" said the Caliph. They have been starving " said the woman. "Have you none else the world?" "My husband died some months ago. He left them neither money nor any property. So, they are in great distress. They have to starve sometimes." "Oh! Let me see, how I can help you ?" said the Caliph.

Answer: Addressing the woman as his daughter the Caliph asked why her children were crying. The woman replied that they had been starving. The Caliph again asked if she had • none else in the world. The woman replied that her husband had died some months ago. She added that he (h) had left them neither money nor any property. So, they were in great distress. She also said that they had to starve sometimes. The Caliph exclaimed with sorrow and said that he might be allowed to see, how he could help them. 

25. Change the narrative style by using indirect speeches:
"Why are you putting the food in your pocket, sir? Why don't you eat?" asked the nobleman. "I am doing the right thing. My dress deserves these rich dishes," replied Sheikh Saadi. "I am sorry. I don't understand what you mean to say," said the nobleman.

Answer: The nobleman asked Sheikh Saadi with respect why Saddi was putting the food in his pocket and why he  didn't eat. Saadi answered that he (S) was doing the right thing and added that his dress deserved those rich dishes. Expressing sorrow, the nobleman said that he (N) didn't understand what Saadi meant to say.

26. Change the narrative style by using indirect speeches:
The stranger said to the boy, “Will you tell me the way to the nearest hotel?” "Yes, I will. Do you want a residential one in which you can spend the night?" the boy said. "I don not want to stay there but I only want a meal," the stranger replied.

Answer: The stranger asked the boy if he (B) would tell him (S) the way to the nearest hotel. The boy replied in the affirmative and said that he would tell. He (B) also asked him (S) if he (S) wanted a resident one in which he (S) would spend the night. The stranger replied that he (S) did not want to stay there but he (S) only wanted a meal.

27. Change the narrative style by using indirect speeches:
“Have you saved something for future?” said the rich man. "No," said the cobbler. "I am happy with the present and think little about tomorrow." "No, that would not do," said the rich man. "I like to see you above want. Have this money and keep it."

Answer: The rich man asked the cobbler if he (C) had saved something for future. The cobbler replied in the negative and said that he (C) was happy with the presents and thought little about the next day. At this the rich man showed negative expression and said that that would not do. He (RM) added that he (RM) liked to see him (C) above want. Then he (RM) offered him to have that money and keep it.

28. Change the narrative style by using indirect speeches:
"What politics have you?" I asked. "I am without politics," he said. "I am seventy-six years old. I have come twelve kilometres now and I think now I can go no further." "This is not a good place to stop," I said. "If you can make it, there are trucks up the road where it forks for Tortos." "I will wait a while," he said. "And then I will go. "Where do the trucks go?" "Towards Barcelona." I told him. "I know no one in that direction, he said, "But thank you very much. Thank you again very much."

Answer: I asked him what politics he had. He answered that he was without politics. He added that he was seventy-six years old. He also added that he had come twelve kilometres then and thought he could go no further. I advised him that that was not a good place to stop. I also added that if he could make that, there were trucks up the road where it forked for Tortos. At this, he said that he would wait a while and then he would go. He then asked me where the trucks went. I replied that the trucks went towards Barcelona. Hearing this, he said that he knew no one in that direction. After that, he thanked me a lot.

29. Change the narrative style by using indirect speeches:
 “My brothers,
I stand before you today with a heart overflowing with grief. You are fully aware of the events that are going on and understand their importance. We have been trying to do our best to cope with the situation. And yet, unfortunately, the streets of Dhaka, Chattogram, Khulna, Rajshahi and Rangpur are awash with the blood of our brothers. The people of Bengal now want to be free, the people of Bengal now want to live, and the people of Bengal now want their rights.”

Answer: Addressing the people of Bengal as his brother, Bangabandhu said that he stood before them that day with a heart overflowing with grief. He again said that they were fully aware of the events that were going on and understood their importance. He also said that they had been trying to do their best to cope with the situation and yet, unfortunately, the streets of Dhaka, Chittagong, Khulna, Rajshahi and Rangpur were awash with the blood of their brothers. He added that the people of Bengal then wanted to be free, wanted to live, and wanted their rights.

30. Change the narrative style by using indirect speeches:
"Follow my example" she said as we shook hands, "and never eat more than one thing for lunched. I am sure you will feel better for it."
"I will do better than that," I retorted, "I'll eat nothing for dinner tonight." "Humorist, you are quite a humorist!" she cried gaily jumping into a cab.

Answer: As we shook hands she advised me to follow her example and never to eat more than one thing for luncheon. She added that she was sure I would feel better for it. I retorted that I would do better than that and added that I would eat nothing for dinner that night. Jumping into a cab, she cried gaily and called me a quite humorist.

31. Change the narrative style by using indirect speeches:
Mr. Abedin said to Rafiq, “Is it bad for us to have such a big population in the country?” Rafiq said, “Sir,  before my answer, could I tell what happened to Kalim Majhee last week?" Mr. Abedin said, "Ok, But say briefly." Rafiq said, "Thank you, sir. It was a hot day."

Answer: 
Mr. Abedin asked Rafiq if it was bad for them to have such a big population in the country. Rafiq respectfully wanted to know before his answer if he could tell what had happened to Kalim Majhee the previous week. Mr. Abedin allowed him to say but briefly. Rafiq thanked him (A) and said that it had been a hot day.

32. Change the narrative style by using indirect speeches:
"Have you cut your hair off?" asked Jim. "Cut it off and sold it," said Della. "Don't you like me just as well, anyhow? I'm me without my hair, aren't I?"

Answer:
Being astonished Jim asked Della if she had cut her hair off. Della replied that she had cut it off and said it. Then Della asked him if he did not like her just as we anyhow. She again asked him if she was not herself without her hair.

33. Change the narrative style by using indirect speeches:
The traveller said to the boy, “Will you tell me the way to the nearest hotel.” “Yes, I will. Do you want a residential one in which you can spend the night?” the boy said. “I do not want to stay here but I only want a meal” the traveller replied.

Answer: The traveller asked the boy if he (B) would tell him (T) the way to the nearest hotel. The boy replied in the affirmative that he would and asked the traveller if he (T) wanted a residential one in which he (T) could spend the night. But the traveller replied that he (T) did not want to stay there but he (T) only wanted a meal.

34. Change the narrative style by using indirect speeches:
“Please give me your English grammar book,” said Fatima. "I cannot give it", said Amina. "I have to take it with me in the class," "I shall return the book before the class starts," said Fatima. "Take it," said Amina. "Thanks," said Fatima.

Answer: Fatima requested Amina to give her (F) her (A) English grammar book. Amina told Fatima that she (A) could not give it because she (A) had to take it with her (A) in the class. Then Fatima said that she (F) would return the book before the class started. Then Amina asked Fatima to take it. At this Fatima thanked her (A).

35. Change the narrative style following text.
“Where is my son? said the grocer. “A crow carried your son away,” said the fruit-seller.  You liar. How can a crow carry away such a big boy?” “Just the same way as mice can eat away the balance and weights.”

Answer: The grocer asked the fruit-seller where his (g) son was. The fruit-seller replied that a crow had carried his (g) son away. Exclaiming with violence anger, the grocer called him a liar. He (g) asked him (f) how a crow could carry away such a big boy. The fruit-seller replied that it had carried away just the same way as mice could eat away the balance and weights.

9 comments

  1. nice one but i need college questions

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for comments. I shall try to add college questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much 💕

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks A Lot
    It's very helpful for us

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello sir, I am a teacher. I take lots of HSC practice questions from your website and use these questions in my lecture sheet. But, I have mentioned your website link end of the practice section in my lecture sheet. So, could you please allow me to use your resources. I really want to know that.

    ReplyDelete

To be published, comments must be reviewed by the administrator.*Remember to Keep Comments Respectful and Avoid spamming!