Headlines
Loading...
Transformation of Sentences Exercise

Transformation of Sentences Exercise

Simple Into Complex

1. Simple: Closing the door, I went back to work. 
Complex: When I closed the door, I went to work.

2. Simple: The water being very hot, I could not drink it.
Complex: since the water was very hot, I could not drink it.

3. Simple: He is too weak to walk.
Complex: He is so weak that he cannot walk.

4. Simple: He works hard to prosper in life.
Complex: He works hard so that he can prosper in life.

5. Simple: In spite of his being healthy, he is lazy.
Complex: Though he is healthy, he is lazy.

6. Simple: Because of my illness, I could not attend the meeting.
Complex: Since I was ill, I could not attend the meeting.

7. Simple: I saw a bird flying.
Complex: I saw a bird which/that was flying.

8. Simple: I saw him walking.
Complex: I saw that he was walking.

9. Simple: I saw a lame man.
Complex: I saw a man who was lame.

10. Simple: Health is wealth.
Complex: It is health which is wealth.

11. Simple: Finishing the work, I went to bed.
Complex: When I finished the work, I went to bed.

12. Simple: The water being very salty, the mariners could not drink it
Complex: Since the water was very salty, the mariners could not drink it.

13. Simple: Because of his being ill, he could not attend the meeting.
Complex: As he was ill, he could not attend the meeting.

14. Simple: Because of his honesty, he was rewarded.
Complex: Since he was honest, he was rewarded.

15. Simple: In spite of his riches, he is unhappy.
Complex: Although he rich, he unhappy.

16. Simple: Despite his sincerity, he was neglected.
Complex: Though he was sincere, he was neglected.

17. Simple: The boy running fast is my brother.
Complex: The boy who is running fast is my brother.

18. Simple: I saw a man working in the field.
Complex: I saw a man who was working in the field.

19. Simple: I saw them working in the field.
Complex: I saw that they were working in the field.

20. Simple: I know him wearing a white shirt.
Complex: I know him who is wearing a white shirt.

21.Simple: He was too dull to understand it.
Complex: He was so dull that he could not understand it.

22. Simple: We read to learn.
Complex: We read so that we may learn.

23. Simple: We study in order to make a good result.
Complex: We study do that we can make a good result.

24. Simple: I know him to be honest.
Complex: I know that he is honest.

25. Simple: They knew him to be a thief.
Complex: They knew that he was a thief.

16. Simple: There are two people on board.
Complex: There were two people where were on board.

Simple into Compound 

1. Simple: Closing the door, I went to work.
Compound: I closed the door and went to work.

2. Simple: Having forgotten him, I went to work.
Compound: I had forgotten him and went to work.

3. Simple: Being honest, he could not tell a lie.
Compound: He was honest and could not tell a lie.

4. Simple: He is too weak to walk.
Compound: He is very weak and he cannot walk.

5. Simple: In spite of his dishonesty, he was rewarded.
Compound: He was dishonest but rewarded.

6. Simple: In spite of rough weather, we reached there on time.
Compound: It was rough weather but we reached there on time.

7. Simple: Without going, you will die.
Compound: Go or you will die. Or Go or die.

Transformation of Sentences exercise with answers

Complex into Simple 

1. Complex: Since the old man killed the bird, he was punished.
Simple: Killing the bird, the old man was punished.

2. Complex: Since the water was salty, they could not drink it.
Simple: The water being salty, they could not drink it.

3. Complex: Though he tried hard, he could not pass the exam.
Simple: In spite of his trying hard, he could not pass the exam.

4. Complex: He worked hard so that he could prosper in life.
Simple: He worked hard to prosper in life.

5. Complex: He is so poor that he cannot buy a car.
Simple: He is too poor to buy a car.

6. Complex: If you do not work hard, you will not prosper in life.
Simple: without working hard, you will not prosper in life.

7. Complex: The writer lived in a cabin that belonged to the orphanage.
Simple: The writer lived in a cabin belonging to the orphanage.

8. Complex: When it was daylight, I was half awakened by the sound of chipping.
Simple: At daylight, I was half awakened by the sound of chopping.

9. Complex: When it was raining, he woke up.
Simple: At the time of raining, he woke up.

10. Complex: When they were playing, it began to rain.
Simple: At the time of their playing, it began to rain.

Complex into Compound

1. Complex: Since the writer was young, he could not refuse the proposal of the lady guest.
Compound: The writer was young and he couldn't refuse the proposal of the lady guest.

2. Complex: Though he tried to pray, he could not get rid of the curse.
Compound: He tried to pray but could not get rid of the curse.

3. Complex: The writer took a cabin that was small.
Compound: The writer took a cabin and it was small.

4. Complex: If you do not move, you will die.
Compound: Move or you will die.

Compound into Simple

1. Compound: I went to the market and bought a shirt.
Simple: Going to the market, I bought a shirt.

2. Compound: The sun had set and we returned home.
Simple: The sun having set, we returned home.

3. Compound: Walk fast or you cannot get the train.
Simple: Without walking fast, you cannot get the train.

4. Compound: He is I'll but he can run fast.
Simple: In spite of his illness, he can run fast.

5. Compound: It was twenty years ago and I was living in London.
Simple: Twenty years ago, I was living in London.

Compound into Complex 

1. Compound: The writer was poor and could not taste caviare.
Complex: Since the writer was poor, he could not taste caviare.

2.  Compound: Work hard and you will shine in life.
Complex: If you work hard, you will shine in life.

3.Compound: He ran fast but could not get the train.
Complex: Though he ran fast, he could not get the train.

4. Compound: Work hard or you cannot prosper in life.
Complex: If you do not work hard, you cannot prosper in life.

1 comment

To be published, comments must be reviewed by the administrator.*Remember to Keep Comments Respectful and Avoid spamming!