Headlines
Loading...
Narration exercise | Direct and indirect speech

Narration exercise | Direct and indirect speech

Assertive Sentence Narration exercise

1. Direct: The boy said to me, “I am fine today.”
Indirect: The boy told me that he was fine that day.

2. Direct: John said, “I shall go home today.”
Indirect: John said that he would go home that day.

3. Direct: He says, “I know you well.”
Indirect: He says that he knows me well.

4. Direct: She will say to you, “I don't like you.”
Indirect: She will tell you that she doesn't like you.

5. Direct: He said, “I write a letter.”
Indirect: He said that he wrote a letter.

6. Direct: He said, “I am writing a letter.”
Indirect: He said that he was writing a letter.

7. Direct: He said, “I have written a letter.”
Indirect: He said that he had written a letter.

8. Direct: He said, “He has been writing a letter.”
Indirect: He said that he had been writing a letter.

9. Direct: He said, “I wrote a letter.”
Indirect: He said that he had written a letter.

10. Direct: He said, “I was writing a letter.”
Indirect: He said that he had been writing a letter.

11. Direct: He said, “I had written a letter.”
Indirect: He said that he had written a letter.

12. Direct: He said, “I had been writing a letter.”
Indirect: He said that he had been writing a letter.

13. Direct: The teacher said, “The earth moves round the sun.”
Indirect: The teacher said that the earth moves round the sun.

14. Direct: John said, “I walk for an hour every morning.”
Indirect: John said that he walks for an hour every morning.

15. Direct: John Keats said, “A thing of beauty is a joy forever.”
Indirect: John Keats said that a thing of beauty is a joy forever.
Narration exercise Direct to Indirect speech
16. Direct: He said to me, “Akbar conquers Gujarat.”
Indirect: He told me that Akbar conquers Gujarat.

17. Direct: He said to me, “We are mortal.”
Indirect: He told me that we are mortal.

18. Direct: The Daily Star says, “We publish truest news of Bangladesh.”
Indirect: The Daily Star says that it publishes truest news of Bangladesh.

19. Direct: John said to Peter, “I will meet you tomorrow.”
Indirect: John told Peter that he would meet him the following day.

20. Direct: He said, “I can do the sum.”
Indirect: He said that he could do the sum.

21. Direct: Daniel said to me, “I want to do this work”.
Indirect: Daniel said to me that he wanted to do the work.

22. Direct: He said to me. “I wonder if the book is available.”
Indirect: He told me that he wondered if the book was available.

23. Direct: Peter said to Jack, “I am going abroad tomorrow.”
Indirect: Peter told Jack that he was going abroad the next day.

24. Direct: Jack said to me, “You will get it back soon.”
Indirect: Jack told me that I would get it (that) back soon.

25. Direct: You said to me, “He is a liar and therefore, I do not trust him.”
Indirect: You said to me that he was a liar and you did not trust him.

26. Direct: They said to me, “We went to college yesterday.”
Indirect: They said to me that they had gone to college the previous day.

27. Direct: Michael said to James, “I shall go to school tomorrow.”
Indirect: Michael said to James that he (K) would go to school the next day.

Narration Change exercises

28. Direct: Peter said to Ria, “The virtuous are blessed.”
Indirect: Peter told Ria that the virtuous are blessed.

29. Direct: Riva said to Rita, “I will help you if I can.”
Indirect: Riva told Rita that she (Riva) would help her (Rita) if she (Riva) could.

30. Direct: The Independent says, “We draw the attention of the Mayor of this matter.”
Indirect: The Independent says that it draws the attention of the Mayor of that matter.

31. Direct: Tania said, “I was writing a letter to my friend.”
Tania said that he had been writing a letter to her friend.

32. Direct: The teacher will say, “I did the work.”
Indirect: The teacher will say that he did the work.

33. Direct: Adam said to me, “I saw you long ago.”
Indirect: Adam told me that he had seen me long before.

34. Direct: Harry said to me, “You were very small when I saw you last.”
Indirect: Harry told me that I had been very small when he had seen me last.

35. Direct: He said, “That's bad.”
Indirect: He said that it was bad.

36. Direct: “I came to Dhaka this morning. I sent you a email before starting from home,” he said.
Indirect: He told me that he had gone to Dhaka that morning and added that he had sent a email before starting from home.

37. Direct: The young man said, “I can't stay any longer. The king had sent me to do very important work.”
Indirect: The young man said that he could not stay any longer and added that the king had sent him to do very important work.

38. Direct: Rima said to Rita, “I have lost my friend my friend get me it. I have to buy another.”
Indirect: Rima told Rita that she had lost her pen and added that her friend had given her that and also said that she had to buy another.

39. Direct: James said to me, “I gave you a book yesterday. Have you read it? Return the book within two days.”
Indirect: James told me that he had given me a book the previous day and asked me if I had read that and also requested me to return the book within two days.

40. Direct: He said, “I am going to school.”
Indirect: He said that he was going to school.

41. Direct: ‘I have cut my finger!’ cried Mrs Riva
Indirect: Mrs Riva cried that she had cut her finger.

42. Direct: The son said to his mother, “I shall never be rude to you.”
Indirect: The son promised his mother that he would never be rude to her.

43. Direct: The boy said, “I brush my teeth every day.”
Indirect: The boy said that he brushes his teeth every day.

44. Direct: The teacher said, “The Sun rises in the east.”
Indirect: The teacher said that the Sun rises in the east.

45. Direct: She said, “My son wants to be an actor.”
Indirect: She said that her son wants to be an actor.

46. Direct: He said, “I am bored.”
Indirect: He said that he was bored.

47. Direct: Mira said, “We are going to the movies.”
Indirect: Mira said that they were going to the movies.

48. Direct: Rita said, “My friends gave me a treat.”
Indirect: Rita said that her friends gave her a treat.

49. Direct: He said to her, “You are beautiful.”
Indirect: He said to her that she was beautiful.

50. Direct: “You must write neatly,” the teacher told her pupils.
Indirect: The teacher advised her pupils that they must write neatly.

51. Direct: I said, “They have gone out.”
Indirect: I informed that they had gone out.

52. Direct: Nila said,“‘These books are theirs.”
Indirect: Nila said that those books were theirs.

53. Direct: She said, “I may attend the meeting.”
Indirect: She said that she might attend the meeting.

54. Direct: Eva said, “I have finished my homework.”
Indirect: Eva said that she had finished her work.

55. Direct: The interviewer said to the young man, “We will let you know our decision by tomorrow.”
Indirect: The interviewer said to the young man that they would let him know their decision by the next day.

56. Direct: ‘These are the documents you will require,’ the travel agent informed the tourist.
Indirect: The travel agent informed the tourist that those were the documents she would require.

57. Direct: He said to me, “I do not believe you”.
Indirect: He told me that he did not believe me.

58. Direct: You said to me, “You do not do your duty”.
Indirect: You told me that I did not do my duty.

59. Direct: Adnan said, “I must write a letter.”
Indirect: Adnan said that he had to write a letter.

60. Direct: You will say, “I am ill.”
Indirect: You will say that you are ill.

61. Direct: Laila said to me, “When I got home, I found that I had lost my umbrella”.
Indirect: Laila told me that when she had got home, she had found that she umbrella had lost her umbrella.

62.Direct: He told to me, “Man is mortal.”
Indirect: He said to me that man is mortal.

63. Direct: Mona said to her son, “I have often told you not to play with fire.”
Indirect: Mona told her son that she had often told him not to play with fire.

64. Direct: “I will do it today”, the boy said.
Indirect: The boy said that he would do it that day.

65. Direct: “Brother, take this golden key and open the door”, said the Magician.
Indirect: Addressing as brother, the magician told the person spoken to take that golden key and (to) open the door.

66. Direct: He said to me, “We should do our duty.”
Indirect: He said to me that we should do our duty.

67. Direct: The Daily Star says, “We published that report on environmental pollution.”
Indirect: The Daily Star says that it published the report on environmental pollution.

68. Direct: Dryden said, “I must go home.”
Indirect: Dryden said that he had to go home.

69. Direct: Father said to his son, “You must obey your teacher.”
Indirect: Father told his son that he must obey his teacher.

70. Direct: William said, “We must leave the house if the rent is increased.”
Indirect: William said that they would have to leave the house if the rent was increased.

71. Direct: Eva said to Umma, “I like to read novels.”
Indirect: Eva told Umma that she liked to read novels.
Or: Eva said to Umma that she liked to read novels.

72. Direct: “I'll have a cup of tea,” my father said, “Because I'm not hungry”
Indirect: My father said that he would have a cup of tea because he wasn't hungry.

73. Direct: Farida said to her mother, “I shall go to bed now.”
Indirect: Farida told her mother that she would go to bed then.

74. Direct: Anis said, “I must write a letter.”
Indirect: Anis said that he had to write a letter.

75. Direct: He said, “I could do it tomorrow.”
Indirect: He said that he could have don it the next day.

76. Direct: He said to us, “I waited an hour.”
Indirect: He told us that he had waited an hour.

77. Direct: “You have all done very badly!” remarked the teacher.
Indirect: The teacher remarked that they had all done it very badly.

78. Direct: Rony said, “The train reached at nine.”
Indirect: Rony said that the train had reached at nine.

79. Direct: Amin said, “I shall go to school.”
Indirect:Amin said that he would go to school.

80. Direct: He says, “I am ill.”
Indirect: He says that he is ill.

81. Direct: Luna says, “We are going to school.”
Indirect: Luna says that they are going to school. 

82. Direct: Mili will say, “He is a good boy.”
Indirect: Mili will say that he is a good boy.

83. Direct: He will say, “I am well.”
Indirect: He will say that he is well. 

84. Direct: He said, “I write a letter.”
Indirect: He said that he wrote a letter.

85. Direct: He said, “I shall do the work.”
Indirect: He said that he would do the work.

86. Direct: He said, “I have written a letter.”
Indirect: He said that he had written a letter.

87. Direct: Mina said to me, “You have done well in the examination.”
Indirect: Mina told me that I had done well in the examination.

88. Direct: Nina said to Nipa, “I have passed the examination.”
Indirect: Nina told Nipa that she (Nina) had passed the examination.

89. Direct: The boy said, “I am reading a book.”
Indirect: The boy said that he was reading a book.

90. Direct: The BBC says, “We publish truest news of the world.”
Indirect: The BBC says that it publishes truest news of the world.

91. Direct: Ram said to Gita, “I need your help.”
Indirect: Ram told Gita that he needed her help.

92. Direct: Gita said to Anjuli  Gupta, “I was happy for your gift.”
Indirect: Gita told Anjuli Gupta that she had been happy for her (A) gift.

93. Direct: She said to me, “I help myself.”
Indirect: She told me that she helped herself.

94. Direct: He said to me, “I helped myself.”
Indirect: He told me that he had helped himself.

95. Direct: Tina said to Gita, “I am well and you are unwell.”
Indirect: Tina told Gita that she (T) was well and she (G) was unwell.

96. Direct: The teacher said to the students, “The earth moves round the sun.”
Indirect: The teacher told the students that the earth moves round the sun.

97. Direct: He said to me, “Everyday my mother reads the holy Quran.”
Indirect: He told me that everyday his mother reads the holy Quran.

98. Direct: The teacher said to the students, “Ice floats on water.”
Indirect: The teacher told the students that ice floats on water.

99. Direct He said to me, “My handwriting is better than yours.”
Indirect: He told me that his handwriting was better than mine.

100. Direct: Jena said to Eila, “I had an opportunity to work.”
Indirect: Jena told Eila that she had had an opportunity to work.

101. Direct: The father said the little girl, “I did not have your letter.”
Indirect: The father told the little girl that he had not had her letter.

101. Direct: He said, “We are all sinners.”
Indirect: He said that all of them were sinners.

102. Direct: The Captain said, “My friends, be always ready to face our enemy.”
Indirect: Addressing as his friends, the Captain ordered them to be always ready to face their enemy.

103. Direct: He said, “Sima, do not quarrel.”
Indirect: He ordered Sima not to quarrel.

104. Direct: Emma says, ”I did not go there”.
Indirect: Emma says that she did not go there.

105. Direct: You will say, “I am ill”
Indirect: You will say that you are ill.

106. Direct: He has said to me, “I shall go out but you will stay.”
Indirect: He has told me that he will go out but I shall stay.

107. Direct:: Harry says, “I did not go.”
Indirect: Harry says that he did not go.

108. Direct: Olivia said to me, “I want to go to Dhaka now.”
Indirect: Olivia said to me that she wanted to go Dhaka then.

109. Direct: He said, “I am well.”
Indirect: He said that he was well.

110. Direct: My friend said, ”I was ill.”
Indirect: My Friend said that he had been ill

111. Direct: You said to me, ‘You do not do your duty.’
Indirect: You told me that I did not do my duty.

112. Direct: You said to me, “You are right.”
Indirect: You told me that I was right.

113. Direct: He said to me, ”You are always unreliable.”
Indirect: He told me that I was always unreliable.

114. Direct: He said, “I finished reading the book.” is
Indirect: He said that he had finished reading the book.

115. Direct: He said, “The train reached at nine.”
Indirect: He said that the horse had died in the night.

116. Direct: He said, “The train reached at nine.”
Indirect: He said that the train had reached at nine.

117. Direct: He said, “I went to London.”
Indirect: He said that he had gone to London.

118. Direct: He said, “I come to see you.”
Indirect: He said that he had come to see me.

119. Direct: Noah said to us, ‘I waited an hour.’
Indirect: Noah told us that he had waited an hour. 

120. Direct: Amelia said, ”I was suffering from fever.” 
Indirect: Amelia said that she had been suffering from fever.

121. Direct: He said, “I saw him long ago.”
Indirect: He said that he had seen him long before.

122. Direct: “When I got home, I found I had lost my umbrella,” Charlotte said.
Indirect: Charlotte said that when she got home she found she had lost her umbrella.

123. Direct: Benjamin said’ “I take bath in the Padma every morning.”
Indirect: Benjamin said that he takes bath in the Padma every morning.

124. Direct: Sofia said, “I walk a mile every day.”
Indirect: Sofia said that she walks a mile everyday.

125. Direct: Zinnia said, “I read all sorts of the magazine.”
Indirect: Zinnia said that she reads all sorts of magazines.

126. Direct: Jakob said, “We are all sinners.”
Indirect: Jakob said that we are all sinners.

127. Direct: The saint said, “Man is mortal?”
Indirect: The saint said that man is mortal.

128. Direct: The teacher said, “The earth moves round the sun.”
Indirect: The teacher said that the earth moves round the sun.

129. Direct: Alexander said, “I must write a letter.”
Indirect: Alexander said he had to write a letter.

130. Direct: He said, “All must go.”
Indirect: He said that they must go.

Interrogative Sentences Narration exercise


1. Direct: Father said to me, “How did you do the work?”
Indirect: Father asked me how I had done the work.

2. Direct: Charlie said to Liam, “Do you hear me?”
Indirect: Charlie asked Liam if he (L) heard him (C).

3. Direct: He said to them, “Do you want to return to Europe?”
Indirect: He asked them if they wanted to return to Europe.

4. Direct: George said to me, "Why shall I not go there?"
Indirect: George asked me why he would not go there.

5. Direct: Emily said to Elizabeth, “Did you go there in time?”
Indirect: Emily asked Elizabeth if she had gone there in time.

6. Direct: William said to me, “Shall I take your pen?”
Indirect: William asked me if he would take my pen.

7. Direct: I said to him, “Do you like to read novels?”
Indirect: I asked him if he liked to read novels.

8. Direct: The man said to you, “Are you going home tomorrow?”
Indirect: The man asked you if you were going home the next day.

9. Direct: He said to me, “Were you reading a book?”
Indirect: He asked me if I had been reading a book.

10. Direct: He said to you, “When will you start for Mumbai?”
Indirect: He asked you when you would start for Mumbai.

11. Direct: The old man said to me, “How long have you been staying here?”
Indirect: The old man asked me how long I had been staying there.

12. Direct: He said to me, “Which book do you want?”
Indirect: He asked me which book I wanted.

13. Direct: Oliver said to Joe, “Why do you always think about the bad side of things?”
Indirect: Oliver asked Joe why he (J) always thought about the bad side of things.

14. Direct: Have you seen her, Jerry?” said the writer.
Indirect: The writer asked Jerry if he had seen her.

15. Direct: Do you find your payment too little?” said the oldest of the girls to the porter.
Indirect: The oldest of the girls asked the porter if he had found his payment too little.

16. Direct: Eva said to Elizabeth, “What are doing now? Will you not go to college today? Is there any problem to you?”
Indirect: Eva asked Elizabeth what she was doing then and asked if she would not go to college that day and also asked/ further asked if there was any problem to her.

17. Direct: Rina said to Riya, “What are you doing now? Will you not go to school today? Is there any problem to you?”
Indirect: Rina asked Riya what she was doing then and asked if she would not go to school that day and also asked if there was any problem to her.

18. 
Direct: She said, “Where are you going, Eva?”
Indirect: She asked Eva where she was going.

19. Direct: “Is it bleeding very much?” Mr Shima asked.
Indirect: Mr Shima asked if it was bleeding very much.

20. Direct: “Why has the clock stopped?” thought Peter.
Indirect: Peter wondered why the clock had stopped.

21. Direct: Peter said, “What time does the bus come?”
Indirect: Peter asked what time the bus came.

22.Direct: Sara said, “When does the show begin.”
Indirect: Sara asked when the show began.

23. Direct: ‘Hello!’ my friend said to me. “How are you?”
Indirect: My friend greeted me and asked how I was.

24. Direct: Do you know India Cricket Team has defeated New Zeland ?” Babul said to Rafiq.
Indirect: Babul asked Rafiq if he knew India Cricket Team had defeated New Zeland.

25. Direct: Mother said to me, “Have you written the letter?”
Indirect: Mother asked me if I had written the letter.

26. Direct: Teacher said to me, “Will you go home?”
Indirect: Teacher asked me whether I would go home.

Direct and indirect speech exercises

27. Direct: He said, “Do you like flowers?”
Indirect: He asked if I liked flowers.

28. Direct: She said, “Are you brothers?”
Indirect: She asked if we were brothers.

29. Direct: He said to me, “Did you go to school?”
Indirect: He asked me if I had gone to school.

30. Direct: The man said to me, “What is your name?”
Indirect: The man asked me what my name was.

31. Direct: He said to me, “Where is the boy?”
Indirect: He asked me where the boy was.

32. Direct: Mother said, “Which book have you read?”
Indirect: Mother asked which book I had read.

33. Direct: She said to him, “Why did you go there?”
Indirect: She asked him why he had gone there.

34. Direct: Aunt said to me, “When have you come?”
Indirect: Aunt asked me when I had gone.

35. Direct: She asked me, “Are you happy in your new job.”
Indirect: She asked me if I was happy in my new job.

36. Direct: I said to him, “Is he a doctor?”
Indirect: I asked him if he was a doctor.

37. Direct: He said to me, “Do you know me?”
Indirect: He asked me if I knew him.

38. Direct: He said to me, “Do you like this shirt?”
Indirect: He asked me if I liked that shirt.

39. Direct: He said to me, “Do you not like the pen?”
Indirect: He asked me if I did not like the pen.

40. Direct: They said to us, “Do you not love our sister?”
Indirect: They asked us if we did not love their sister.

41. Direct: “Are you brothers?” asked the mistress of the house turning to the dervishes.
Indirect: Turning to the dervishes, the mistress of the house asked them if they were brothers.

42. Direct: “Why do you beg?” asked the mistress of the house situated beside the Ganga.
Indirect: The mistress of the house, situated beside the Ganga, asked them why they begged.

43. Direct: She said to me, “You have remembered how she looked all these years?”
Indirect: Being surprised, she asked me if I had remembered how she had looked all those years.

44. Direct: “How did you do that?” they asked Edison.
Indirect: They asked Edison how he had done that.

45. Direct: He said to me, “Which book do you want?”
Indirect: He asked me which book/ wanted.

46. Direct: “Who was the first man to fly in the space?” the examiner asked the girl.
Indirect: The examiner asked the girl who was the first man to fly in the space.

47. Direct: He said to me, “Aryan can speak English well, can't he.”
Indirect: He asked me if Aryan could speak English well and assumed that he could.

48. Direct: She said to me, “You are going to the playground, aren't you?”
Indirect: She asked me if that I was going to the playground and assumed that I was.

49. Direct: She said to me, “You didn't cause much damage to the book, did you?”
Indirect: She asked me whether I had caused much damage to the book. and assumed that I had not.

50. Direct: He said to me, “Have you R passed?”
Indirect: He asked me if I had passed.

51. Direct: Mother said to me, “Did you spread the rumour?”
Indirect: Mother asked me whether I had spread the rumour.

52. Direct: “How dare you wake me up?” The lion roared at the mouse.
Indirect: The Lion roared and asked the mouse how it dared to wake him up.

53. Direct: He said to me, “Where were you born?”
Indirect: He asked me where I had been born.

Imperative Sentences Narration exercise


1. Direct: He said to me, “Please lend me a book.”
Indirect: He requested me to lend him a book.

2. Direct: Oscar told me, “Do it at once.”
Indirect: Oscar told (ordered)me to do that (it) at once.

3. Direct: The man said, “Friends, please help me.”
Indirect: Addressing them as friends, the man requested them to help him.

4. Direct: The teacher said to the students, “Don't make a noise in the class room.”
Indirect: The teacher advised (ordered) the students not to make a noise in the class room.

5. Direct: My father said to me, “Do not waste your time.”
Indirect: My father forbade me to waste my time.
Or, My father told/ordered/advised me not to waste my time.

6. DirectI said to him, “Let us drop the matter.”
Indirect: I proposed to him that we should drop the matter.

7. DirectThe General said to the soldiers, “March on.”
Indirect: The General ordered (commanded) the soldiers to march on.

8. Direct: The girl said to her teacher, “Let me come in.”
Indirect: The girl requested (told) her teacher that she might (might be allowed to) come in.

9. Direct: The servant said to his master, “Please excuse me, Sir.”
Indirect: The servant respectfully, (with respect) requested his master to excuse him.

10. Direct: The beggar said to the man, “Let me have a meal.”
Indirect: The beggar said to the man that he might have a meal. 

11. Direct: George said to you, “Let us go out for a walk.”
Indirect: George proposed to you that you and George should go out for a walk.

12. Direct: Jacob said, “Let us go out for a walk.”
Indirect: Jacob proposed that they should go out for a walk.
Or, Jacob suggested going out for a walk.

13. Direct: The girl said, “May I come in?”
Indirect: The girl asked if she could come in.

14. Direct: “Pay your taxes,” the king ordered his subjects.
Indirect: The king ordered his subjects to pay their taxes.

14. Direct: Kamal said to the boys, “Let us sing a song to celebrate the day.”
Indirect: Kamal proposed the boys that they should sing a song to celebrate the day.

15. Direct: My mother said to me, “Don't run in the sun.”
Indirect: My mother advised me not run in the sun.
Or, My mother forbade me to run in the sun.

16. Direct: He said to his master, “Grant me my prayer.”
Indirect: He begged his master to grant him his prayer.

17. Direct: He said to me, “Let us go home together.”
Indirect: He proposed to me that we should go hom together.

18. Direct: They said to me, “Kiaan, you will attend the meeting.”
Indirect: They asked me Kiaan to attend the meeting.

19. Direct: The student said, “Sir, I have a problem to solve.”
Indirect: Addressing as sir, the student said that he had a problem to solve.

20. Direct: Looking at my hands the beggar said, “Madam, please give me your cardigan.”
Indirect: Looking at my hands, the beggar addressed me as madam and requested me to kindly.

21. Direct: Father said to me, “Go home at once.” 
Indirect: Father ordered me to go home at once.

22. Direct: The officer shouted to his men, “Halt!”
Indirect: The officer ordered his men to halt.

23. Direct: The teacher said to me, “Don't come here.”
Indirect: The teacher forbade me to go there.
Or, The teacher ordered me not to go there. 

24. Direct: He said to me, “Please open the door.”
Indirect: He requested me to open the door.
Or, He told me politely to open the door.

25. Direct: He said to me, “Please wait here till I return.”
Indirect: He requested me to wait there till he returned.

26. Direct: I said to him, “Please explain the passage.”
Indirect: I requested him to explain the passage. 

27. Direct: Mother said to him, “Don't run in the sun.”
Indirect: Mother advised him not to run in the sun.
Or, Mother forbade him to run in the sun.

28. Direct: He said to me, “Don't do it again.”
Indirect: He told me not to do it again.

Optative Sentence Narration exercise


1. Direct: My mother said, “May God bless you.”
Indirect: My mother prayed that God might bless me.

2. Direct: The mother said to her son, “May you succeed in the examination.”
Indirect: The mother wished (prayed) that her son might succeed in the examination. OR: The mother wished (prayed for) her son's success in the examination.

3. Direct: He told me, “May you long live.”
Indirect: He prayed that I might long live.

4. Direct: Father said to me, “May you pass the exam.”
Indirect: Father prayed that I might pass the exam.

5. Direct: He told me, “Good morning.”
Indirect: He wished me good morning.

6. Direct: She told me, “Good evening.”
Indirect: She bade me good evening.

7. Direct: I said to him, "Good-bye."
Indirect: I bade him good-bye.

8Direct: The teacher said to me, "May you shine in life."
Indirect: The teacher wished that I might shine in life. 

Exclamatory Sentences Narration exercise

1. Direct: The man said, "What a fool I am!"
Indirect: The man exclaimed with sorrow that he was a great fool.

2. Direct: The boy said, "What a terrible storm it is!"
Indirect: The boy exclaimed with fear that it was a very terrible storm.

3. Direct: He said, "Alas! How worthless I am."
Indirect: He exclaimed with sorrow that he was very worthless.

4. Direct: The boy said, "Hurrah! My father has come."
Indirect: The boy exclaimed (cried out) with joy that his father had come.

5. Direct: I said to you, "How obliged are you to me!"
Indirect: I exclaimed that you were greatly obliged to me.

6. Direct: The teacher said to him, "How funny you are!"
Indirect:  The teacher exclaimed with wonder that he was very funny.

7. Direct: ‘Wow! What a handsome man he is!’ the girls said.
Indirect: The girls exclaimed what a handsome man he was.

8. Direct: Ram said, ‘How hot the soup is!’
Indirect: Ram exclaimed that the soup was hot.

9. Direct: You told, “What a happy news.”
Indirect: You told that it was a very happy news.

10. Direct: They said to us, “How obliged are we to you?”
Indirect: They exclaimed to us that they were greatly obliged to us.

0 Comments:

To be published, comments must be reviewed by the administrator.*Remember to Keep Comments Respectful and Avoid spamming!